was successfully added to your cart.
All of My Best-Selling Cookbooks for One Low Price! Buy Now

40 Pre-Baby Freezer Meals

When I was pregnant with my fourth baby I came up with the idea to stock my freezer with 40 homemade meals.  To save time, I focused on recipes that could be frozen without any cooking ahead of time.  I also broke up the meals into three separate “prep sessions” so I didn’t have to make all of them at once.

The whole thing was really easy to do and my baby is six weeks old now and we have been eating like KINGS.  (Seriously.  These meals taste so, so good since they cook for the first time out of the freezer.)  I love that we can eat a homemade meal every night without any of the work.

Here’s what I made:

CLICK HERE FOR ALL OF THE FREE RECIPES AND GROCERY LISTS

(Please note that the 15 chicken crockpot meals that I made were from my Chicken Crockpot Freezer Meals Cookbook eBook, so they are not included in the free printable. I added some free chicken recipes that you can make instead, but I highly recommend the eBook recipes!!)

After each “prep session” I shared what I learned in a blog post:

The best thing about these meals is that they include fresh vegetables and are healthy.  Yay!  They’re also delicious. These are freezer meals that I’ll make for my family over and over again.

40 Pre-Baby Freezer Meals

To sum up what I learned making all 40 meals:

• Enlist help if you can.  I made most of the meals with my mom and it was so much fun.
  • Try to make a bunch of the meals at once.  I split the meals into three prep sessions and it was totally doable.  I think filling my freezer slowly with only a meal or two at a time would have been horrible.  Just way too much time and mess.
  • Spend a little extra money on pre-chopped fresh veggies if you can. I chop all of my fresh vegetables when I make 10 meals or less, but it is *so helpful* to splurge on the pre-chopped one when I’m making more.  It is a huge time-saver.  Substituting frozen veggies for fresh is also great (for example, frozen green beans for fresh).
  • BUY FROZEN DICED ONIONS INSTEAD OF CHOPPING TONS OF FRESH ONES.  Your eyes and hands will thank me later.

40 Pre-Baby Freezer Meals

You don’t need anything fancy to make these freezer meals, but if you have some extra money to spend, here’s what I use and love:

40 Pre-Baby Freezer Meals

I think that’s it!  If you have any questions leave a comment below and I’ll respond as soon as I can.  Freezer meals have helped me family so much and I love helping other people make them too. XO, Kelly

112 Comments

• Delara says:

hi Kelly, I just wan to say that I made and cooked my first freezer meal, and it was perfect!!! it was actually none of your recipes, bat I was encouraged to make it by reading your recipes and experiences over and over. Thanks a lot! you are the best!
    PS. of course I have bunch of questions!

• Rose says:

will these fit in a 4 qt crock pot?

• Kelly says:

I think they should. Just be sure to cut the ribs to fit. And if the soups are too much, decrease the chicken broth to 3 cups instead of 4.

• […] from New Leaf Wellness has a great list of 40 pre-baby freezer meals. Her free download includes grocery lists and recipes for all of the […]

• Shelly says:

Kelly how long will these stay good in freezer? I am expecting a new grandbaby in September and I would like to do this for my son and daughter in law.

• Kelly says:

At least 3 months in a standard freezer.

• Marlana says:

I’m due in August and would like to go ahead and start freezing some of these meals. I have a small chest freezer and have found that meats last much longer than the typical 3-6 month standard. Do you think that would be the case for these meals as well? Would love to get a head start, but of course I don’t want to have freezer burned meals come August/September when I need them. Thank you so much!

• M.I. says:

I love that most of these start with the word “Crockpot.” Hallelujah. Thanks a million.

• Bonnie says:

I work 10 hour shifts and have a programmable 6 qt crockpot. Will these recipes work or be mushy?

• Kristy says:

I found your site about a month ago and LOVE IT! I have three kids still at home and work from my home office so tossing something in the crock pot and forgetting it is perfect for me – I don’t have to stop working to cook and we still get to eat a delicious meal together. Plus I just found out my oldest daughter is pregnant so as part of her shower gift, my mom and I will be prepping her some meals and buying her her first crock pot! Thanks for the wonderful work!!

• Kelly, love this post! I was inspired to fill up freezer with a variety of healthy meals for when my son was born. (I’m pretty sure we would have starved without it.) Thanks for the tip on the baggy holders. These things make the job so much easier! Congrats on baby #4!

• Donna says:

Kelly I am physically disabled and feeding my family could be problematic some days but my husband and I went shopping got home and the kids pitched in and we prepared eighteen of your meals and have been enjoying them very much.! And the kids are so empowered to know that they can defrost their favorite and dump it right into the crockpot in the morning and when the last one gets home we can enjoy a great healthy hot meal together, made by a teenager even! Lol thanks again for all your hard work! I can’t wait until I can buy all your ebooks!

• […] 40 Pre-Baby Freezer Meals – New Leaf Wellness […]

• Emily Rosen says:

Hi! This is wonderful! Thanks for sharing! Do you have a template to use when typing up the labels?

• Kelly says:

The ones in my Chicken Cookbook eBook were designed in photoshop and formatted to print on sticker labels. I type most of the other ones onto the free labels that I send to my email subscribers. The first freezer prep session post includes links to download the labels that I used.

• Beth says:

I work in a tax office. Tax season started last week and I already see these will be heaven sent. I would be very interested in crockpot meals that need to cook 8 to 10 hr. For the current set of meals: Would just cooking 2 of the same meals at once increase the length of cooking time? Increasing the amount of fluid in the recipe? Can I cook from frozen instead of defrosting? I’d take the crock pot to work and plug it in at my desk so I could start it at the right time but that would just be cruel to every one else. The beef and veg soup is great. Thanks so much. Beth

• Kelly says:

I would use a 4-qt crockpot or a 6-qt with a programmable timer. You could also use a basic light timer to shut it off one hour before you get home. It should stay warm that long.

• Heaven says:

Do you remember approximately how much it cost for you to do all 40? Thanks! 🙂

• Kelly says:

I didn’t calculate it. If I had to guess, I’d say $8-10/meal. The most expensive item is the meat and I used organic ground beef and organic chicken breasts from Costco. You could save A LOT of money if you made them when meat was buy one, get one at the grocery store.

• Heather says:

I still can’t believe my eyes. Even the meat you don’t have to precook? Can it be true?

• sara says:

How many will each freezer meal feed?

• Brittany says:

Can these recipes be split in half to accommodate a family of 2 + a toddler? I am pregnant and want to make these recipes for when we have baby….we are not big on leftovers.

• Lacey says:

Hi! Thanks so much for the recipes. I just wanted to mention that if you don’t have hands-free baggy holders, you can use a tupperware container – put the baggy inside and fold the top down around the edges 🙂

• Crista says:

Do you put the ground beef in the bags still frozen?

• russti says:

Hello. This is going to be awesome! I am due in September. I am a novice cook. My husband and I bought a cow, and we have several packages of frozen beef. Would it be ok to to make the “sauces” and then add the beef later? When I unthaw the sauces, unthaw the beef, and then add the raw beef with the sauce to the crockpot?

• Steffane says:

Doesn’t it make it a little greasy to cook the hamburger with the rest of this and not draining it?

• Caitlin says:

I don’t have access to a printer to do labels that way. Where’s the best place to buy big labels that will last in a freezer setting? I do have Amazon prime if you have a link to something on there..

• Colie says:

I am sooo thankful to have stumbled upon this, I am getting ready to have baby number four (via scheduled csection) and prepping freezer meals seems like the only way to prevent having pizza every night! Did you just freeze these in freezer bags or did you use a vacuum sealer/food saver product? I mentioned doing this and my husband says we need a vacuum sealer to do it.

• Cristina says:

How many people does each meal feed?

• trisha says:

just wondering how come you save the broth until cooking day?

• Kelly says:

Usually the bags are too full to add it before freezing and it’s easy to add later. The meals also thaw quicker without it.

• Ally says:

Hi Kelly,
    I was wondering if you need to use 85% beef it can you use leaner?
    Does the meat need to be raw or frozen when prepping?
    Do you stir the ingridents before putting into the bags to freeze?
    Thanks!

• Kelly says:

Hi Ally! Here you go:

I was wondering if you need to use 85% beef it can you use leaner? Yes.
      Does the meat need to be raw or frozen when prepping? Either one will work for most of the recipes, but you’ll need fresh for the stuffed peppers and meatloaf.
      Do you stir the ingredients before putting into the bags to freeze? Nope.

• Annie says:

Hi Kelly, I would love to do this but can’t find the link for the grocery list or recipes?

• Isabel says:

About how many does each meal serve? I have a big family with a big appetite!

• Kelly says:

Usually 4-6. It’s broken down by recipe in the pdfs. If you want to double the crockpot recipes, it would be really easy to do that. You could also increase most of the meals with an extra pound of meat.

• Robin says:

Hi Kelly,
    I was wondering with the chili do you cook the ground beef first? It doesn’t say it on the recipe.

• Kay says:

Hi Kelly, I just downloaded your recipe list and got to the part where you organized the recipes into a full grocery list… amazing!!! You are my hero. Our baby is due in October and we can’t wait to get started on this important prep!

• Rebecca says:

Hello! I am starting back to work and am excited to try these! I can not find the link for the recipes/ grocery list for the 40 bags. Thank you!

• Gia says:

Love these! I’m having our second baby in November and learned the first time that having freezer meals is very helpful! Normally these lists have you make multiple of the same so you’re not actually getting a ton of meals but I’m loving these!! I do have a question, how long would these last in a deep freezer?? I know regular freezer is about 3 months, just wondering if it would be longer in a deep freeze! thanks!

• […] Mexican black bean chili (crockpot) […]

• Sandy says:

Do you thaw the casseroles before baking?

• Megan says:

Our baby is due in 4 weeks. I just sent my husband to the store to buy all the ingredients for the first prep session! (He really is the best:) Can’t wait to get started on these! I know I’ll need them to survive and get meals on the table for my toddler and hubby while taking care of new baby! Thanks so much for sharing!

• Kelly says:

Hey Kelly,
    i am going to try your recipes this coming week!
    I was just wondering- do you have a file with the labels that you created that you could share as well? Yours are so cute!!

• Trina says:

This is amazing! Thank you so much for sharing all these wonderful recipes! I am pregnant with my first child, and have been looking into freezer cooking so I am ready for anything when baby arrives! 🙂 This post is truly a blessing! <3

• lisa loving says:

I was wondering if you have found that the root veggies (carrots and potatoes) ended up… Weird after cooking? I’m getting ready to put these meals together and previous experience the root veggies came out chewy and gross.

• Megan Childers says:

Can any of the crockpot recipes be cooked on high for 4 hours instead of high for 8?

• Megan says:

Yes, that’s what I meant, 4 hours on High or 8 hours on Low. Sorry, just had baby and brain isn’t functioning yet;) Awesome, thank you! Making our frist meal today, but it didn’t defrost well in our fridge overnight, so I’m going to have to start it later today than planned. I can’t wait to try it! Thanks so much for sharing all of these recipes😊

• Baby Names says:

Good work Delara! I think children and the family won’t be afraid too hungry!

• Julie says:

I have never made freezer meals. I am looking at the Mexican Stuffed Shells. Do you even freeze the cream cheese? Thanks!

• HanQ says:

Thank you so much for these recipes and the grocery lists and labels! All so helpful and wonderful! Just wanted to mention that it seems a large freezer is definitely necessary to store all of these meals–we’ve made all of them and only about 1/3 will fit in our above-fridge freezer! We are begging freezer space from friends to store it all! 🙂

• Kate says:

These recipes look amazing! We are expecting our 3rd little one in January and these freezer meals will be very helpful! Do I need to brown the beef before adding it to the meals?

• Haley Bodle says:

I having a baby December 9th a planned C-section due to what happen with my first son. My husband cannot cook and we are on a tight budget as we are saving for a house. For the last couple of months I have been picking one meal a week to double eat one that night and freeze the other half. I have 15 meals already. With my first son I didn’t think of doing this my friends and my husband’s co-workers bought us meals the first week after that we ate out a lot and had fast food. So I can’t wait to eat better this time!!! Thank you so much for posting easy meals!!!

• Jen B says:

Thank you for this post! Our twins are due in May and I’m looking forward to trying some of these recipes to keep us fed during the weeks after they come home. Out of curiosity, why didyou choose to ziplock bags if you have a Foodsaver? We got one for Christmas and was hoping to put it to use in prepping for babies. Thanks in advance!

• Brittani says:

Working through the chicken meals this week… can I just throw the frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts into the bags?

Also… accidentally browned ground beef for several recipes before reading through the comments. Did I completely screw up?

• Brittani, yes you can throw the chicken right in. And no, you should be OK with the ground beef. It’s really just one less step for future recipes.

• Melissa says:

I’m curious for the chicken recipes that call for bite sized pieces do the chicken breasts need to be thawed and cubed before refreezing? I can only find frozen chicken breasts in large quanties so would need to thaw enough to cut into bite sized pieces.

• Kelly says:

I do not recommend thawing and re-freezing. I would either leave them whole and shred after cooking or buy fresh chicken breasts.

• Raya says:

Thank you so much for sharing this! I see where there are a few meals you “made 2 of”, such as the pot pie. Does the grocery list include doubling of those or do I need to add it to the list? thanks!

• Carla says:

I’m excited to do this pre-baby. We have a 3 year old too so this seems like a perfect way for me to set dad up so he can easily throw together meals while I’m recovering. 🙂 Have you ever thrown all 40 meals into a freezer? I’m curious what space they’d require. We have a fridge that is split with freezer on left and fridge on right. It looks nearly identical to the photo you have near the top of this page… a few shelves and a pull out drawer at the bottom. (We don’t have a standalone freezer chest at this time.)

Thanks for these great ideas.

• Kelly says:

The 40 in this post were all in the freezer together (pictured), but it is an upright chest freezer. I have a side-by-side fridge/freezer in my kitchen, and I don’t think it would fit this many. It is about half the width, so I would say 20 meals, max, if it was empty otherwise. 10-15 might be a better number.

• Carla says:

Thanks, yes I was having a second look at your pic and my freezer does appear about half the width of your chest freezer. I’ll have to do some prioritization. 🙂

• Joanna says:

Do I need to add broth or some other liquid to your chicken in a bag recipes? There doesn’t seem to be much liquid in the recipe.

• Dianna says:

Thank you so much for all your effort in how you organized the recipes! It was such a huge help to have the ingredients separated out by section and listed out for each recipe – super helpful!! I’ve already cooked 4 of them and it’s saved so much time when I’m trying to adjust to life with a newborn.

• Mccall says:

For some reason the link isn’t working for me? Help!
    My baby is due in 6 weeks

• […] when I was pregnant with my 4th baby I stocked our freezer with 40 homemade meals and it was the best thing ever. We LOVED not having to worry about dinner every night and the meals […]

• After I originally left a comment I appear to have clicked on the -Notify me when new
    comments are added- checkbox and from now on whenever a comment is added I receive 4 emails with the same comment.
    There has to be a way you can remove me from that service?
    Appreciate it!

• Holly says:

I am pregnant with twins, and was hoping to find easy prep meals during my pregnancy. Has anyone done this for during your pregnancy? Have to meet certain amounts of protein, calories, calcium. Trying to find the easiest way! This is such a goldmind! Thanks for your hard work!

• Amy says:

Thank you so much for this list!! However I don’t see on the grocery list how many pounds of ground beef. I only see in the meat section chicken. And it says thats recipes 1-6 and 8-17. But the first 2 meals are ground beef…? Is this a typo or am I missing something?? Thanks!!!

• Amy says:

And pregnancy brain!! I see where you separated them!!

• Jennifer says:

Kelly,
    I am really excited to try these meals, and have completed 2 of the 3 prep sessions. I appreciate how easy you made it and how comprehensive this has been. My only question is what kind of frozen meatballs do you use? is there a brand you like and are they a specific flavor such as Italian meatballs? are they mini or full sized? Thank you!

• […] Pot Roast with Carrots and Potatoes (double batched) […]

• Cheryl Spiers says:

Thank you for this great post! My family is almost 6 years away from “baby time”. My husband is leaving to go back OTR after a summer break and little man is looking forward to Kindergarten in August. This fall will be busy, so I’m looking for new and different Freezer ideas. It will be just the two of us, but these recipes look like we would have lunch leftovers. I will be back for more of your great ideas!