Here’s a super simple recipe for sausage-stuffed mini peppers that’s seriously delicious. You won’t believe it’s made with only four ingredients! Pop the peppers straight in the oven or freeze for a busy weeknight.
Three reasons you need to make this recipe ASAP:
- It’s made with sweet mini peppers that are in season right now (I bought a bag at ALDI.).
- It only requires four simple ingredients.
- It’s a delicious meal that your whole family will love.
What’s amazing about this sausage-stuffed mini pepper recipe is that there’s no cooking required ahead of time. Simply stuff the peppers and toss them right into the oven or freezer.
The peppers end up tender (but not mushy), the sausage cooks through, and the cheese melts and turns golden brown. Mmmmmm.
Make-Ahead Freezer Sausage-Stuffed Mini Peppers
Yields: 4 servings
- 16oz mini sweet peppers
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage (we like hot)
- 24oz jar of spaghetti sauce
- 8oz mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds. (It’s OK if you don’t get every single seed out.)
- Stuff the peppers with sausage and place in a 9×13″ casserole dish.
- Cover stuffed peppers with spaghetti sauce.
- Top with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 40 minutes at 350 degrees F or until cheese is brown and sausage is cooked through.
Complete Steps 1-4. Cover dish with layers of plastic wrap and foil and freeze for up to three months. When ready to eat, thaw overnight in refrigerator and then bake for 40 minutes at 350 degrees F. (You can also skip thawing and bake frozen for 60-90 minutes.)
Serve over spaghetti. YUM.
We don’t eat beef or pork. Would ground turkey work with this recipe?
Yes, I think so.
Your recipes make me so happy! I’m inspired to fill my freezer and make dinners a BREEZE! Thanks for sharing all that you do! 🙂
Thank you, Lindsay!
I am happy to report that I tried these. I used the fit fresh turkey italian sausage and there was so much left over I had to buy more peppers and freeze another tray. My 5 year-old son loved helping me stuff the mini peppers. The best part though was that I invited my parents to try. My mom took them home fresh out of the oven and she text me “delicious”. The next day Dad said it was like going to a restaurant and not having to pay. I served it with spaghetti noodles and crusty bread. My mom… Read more »
Yay! I’m so glad you loved these too, Monica. 🙂
My only concern is will these be or are they a little greasy when they’re done since the sausage is not precooked?
Thanks ? looks really good
I made these the other night & they were fantastic, not greasy at all, but I used turkey italian sausage.
[…] Sausage-Stuffed Mini Sweet Peppers […]
Sounds delicious and simple enough for me. Would this work with ground beef and what spices would you recommend adding?
Sometimes I season ground turkey like sausage. I think you could do the same. Here’s how I do it: https://thefamilyfreezer.com/2014/06/16/sub-ground-turkey-ground-sausage/