I’m excited to share this easy and delicious recipe with you. I got a lot of good feedback about my slow cooker cranberry pork roast, and making BBQ chicken is another one of my favorite uses for my slow cooker. This slow cooker BBQ chicken recipe is awesome because you mix your own sweet and spicy sauce.
As you make more of my recipes, you’ll probably notice that they’re not typical “diet” recipes. They certainly don’t include special ingredients that you need to buy at a health foods store, and I stay away from anything labeled “fat free” or “sugar free.”
My healthy eating philosophy revolves around the phrase, “All things in moderation.” I’m just a busy mom who wants to serve her family homemade meals that include vegetables. That’s why I asked Registered Dietitian Dana White to review my ’15-Minute Freezer Recipes’ Cookbook.
It’s an awesome cookbook so be sure to check it out after you add these ingredients to your grocery list…
Slow Cooker Sweet & Spicy BBQ Chicken
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups HEINZ ketchup (no other brand will do – I’m a Pittsburgh girl afterall!)
- 1/4 cup Worcheshire sauce
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- Cooking spray
- Spray your slow cooker with cooking spray and add the chicken breasts.
- In a medium-sized bowl, create BBQ sauce by combining the ketchup, Worcheshire sauce, brown sugar, chili powder, hot sauce, and curry powder (In a pinch, you can skip this step and sub 2 cups of your favorite bottled BBQ sauce – I can’t promise that the final product will be sweet and spicy though!).
- Pour BBQ sauce over chicken breasts.
- Cook on low for 10-12 hours.
- Shred and serve!
We ate sides of cornbread and roasted carrots with our dinner. My 3-year-old loves my recipe for roasted carrots, and I’m always happy to make vegetables that my family will eat.
This would be a great recipe to quickly prep on the weekend and add to a gallon-sized plastic freezer bag for an easy weeknight dinner. Next time chicken breasts go on sale, stock your freezer with a couple batches of this recipe. (In a previous blog post, I shared my best freezer meal tips for beginners.)
Happy quick cooking, Ladies!!
Have you seen my Cookbook yet? It’s called ’15-Minute Freezer Recipes’ because each recipe can be prepped in 15 minutes or less and frozen. You can find more info about the eBook and printed paperback version under my “cookbooks” tab above!