You’re never going to believe it, but this entire chicken chili with cornbread topping cooks in your slow cooker. So easy!! And, wait until you see the other shortcuts in the ingredient list!
This is a new, quicker version of my Baked Chili Cornbread Casserole. The entire dish cooks in your slow cooker and couldn’t be easier to make.
Simply combine the chicken, veggies, and sauce in your slow cooker and let it do all of the work for you. An hour before serving, top with shredded cheese and cornbread batter and turn the cooking setting to “high.” Talk about a one-pot wonder!
But really, the best part of this recipe is taste. The combination of slightly spicy chicken chili and sweet cornbread topping is one that your whole family is sure to love. Enjoy!
Slow Cooker Mexican Chili with Cornbread Topping
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 medium-sized yellow onion, chopped (about one cup)
- 1 pepper (any color), chopped (about one cup)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 tablespoons and 1.5 teaspoons of homemade taco seasoning or 1 package of store-bought taco seasoning
- 10.75oz can of condensed tomato soup (you can substitute 15oz can tomato sauce and 1 teaspoon honey)
- 1/4 pound cheese (we use cheddar or pepper jack), shredded (about one cup)
- 1 box of Jiffy corn muffin mix + the necessary ingredients listed on the box (Jiffy calls for one egg and 1/3 cup milk and yields 6 muffins)
- Add chicken, onion, peppers, corn, seasoning, and tomato soup to slow cooker and cook on low setting for 4-8 hours or until chicken is cooked through.
- Shred chicken with fork.
- Cover shredded chicken chili with cheese and assembled corn muffin batter.
- Add lid and cook on “high” setting for 60 minutes or until cornbread topping is cooked through.
To Freeze and Cook Later
Combine all ingredients except cheese and corn muffin mix in a gallon-sized plastic freezer bag. Remove as much air from the bag as possible and freeze for up to three months. Thaw overnight before cooking. The morning of cooking, pour contents of freezer bag into your slow cooker and cook on “low” setting for 4-6 hours, or until chicken is cooked through and tender. Shred chicken, top with shredded cheese, and cornbread batter. Replace lid and cook for one hour on “high” setting.
Serve with fresh cilantro, guacamole, and sour cream. YUM.