Someone messaged me on Instagram the other day asking for a Crockpot Lemon Chicken and Rice Soup recipe and I got to work! I knew a recipe like this would be right up my alley because it would be simple, healthy, and delicious. I can’t wait to hear what you think.
My family loves chicken and rice soup and the lemon in this recipe is such a fun twist. It’s kind of a combination of my favorite crockpot chicken noodle soup and the lemon chicken with baby spinach in my cookbook eBook. I didn’t add any baby spinach to this soup, but I certainly think you could.
When I was researching other lemon chicken rice soup recipes I found that the traditional Greek soup calls for adding raw egg right before serving. I’m sure it’s delicious, but the thought grossed me out so I skipped that step. Just something to keep in mind because this soup will probably taste different than what you’d get at your local Greek restaurant.
Yum! Enjoy, Friend!!Print
This is a fresh and flavorful recipe that you can cook in your slow cooker or freeze (raw) and cook later. Serve with crescent rolls or fresh bread.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, fat trimmed
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced (one cup)
- 1 small yellow onion, diced (one cup)
- 1/4 cup dry white rice, uncooked
- 1/2 lemon (for juice)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dill
- 32oz chicken broth (4 cups) (not needed until day of cooking)
- Combine all items in crockpot and cook on “low” setting for 6-8 hours or until carrots and onions are tender.
- Shred chicken.
To Freeze and Cook Later
- Label a gallon-sized plastic freezer bag with the name of the recipe, cooking instructions, and use-by date (which would be 3 months from the prep date).
- Add all ingredients to freezer bag (except broth), seal, and freeze up to three months.
- When ready to cook, thaw freezer bag overnight in the refrigerator or in the morning in water.
- Add to crockpot with broth and cook on “low” setting for 6-8 hours.
- Shred chicken.