This recipe for burger burritos includes seasoned ground beef and hamburger toppings in a burrito-sized tortilla. It’s the perfect quick weeknight meal or lunch on-to-go, and it freezes great!
Last week, my husband was looking for a quick lunch and I remembered pinning a recipe for grilled cheeseburger wraps from Life in the Lofthouse. We had ground beef and tortillas on-hand, so he threw the ground beef in a skillet and a few minutes later we were enjoying tasty burgers in burrito form. (We skipped the grilling step because we were hungry and we don’t have an indoor grill.)
I started thinking about how “burger burritos” would freeze perfectly and got all giddy. (Yes, I actually get really excited about this kind of stuff.)
Frozen or not, these burger burritos are the perfect meal for on-the-go. Pack one for lunch, feed them to your kids on the way to soccer practice, or eat one in the car while you’re driving to a book club meeting. Whenever you need a quick meal, these burger burritos are there for you.
If you decide to freeze your burger burritos, you can also re-heat one at a time for dinner when you’re home alone. The tortillas re-heat great – they don’t end up soggy or crunchy at all.
When I make these burger burritos for dinner, I double the recipe and freeze the extra four burritos for later. Such as easy way to keep our freezer stocked!
Recipe for Burger Burritos
Yields: Four burger burritos
- 1lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon seasonings (regular salt and pepper or a mix, like Montreal Steak Seasoning)
- Olive oil or cooking spray
- 4 burrito-sized flour tortillas (The ones I buy measure about 8.5 inches across.)
- Your favorite burger toppings (I like cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, ketchup, dijon mustard, and relish, but if I had bacon and avocado on-hand I would go all-out.)
- Place a large skillet on your stovetop and coat with olive oil or cooking spray.
- Add ground beef and brown it with seasonings.
- Assemble your burritos by topping each tortilla with 2/3 cup ground beef mixture and your favorite burger toppings.
- Wrap and enjoy!
- Follow the directions to Step 3 and then cool ground beef mixture to room temperature.
- Cut four 12×12″ pieces of wax paper and foil. Set up an assembly line with each piece of foil topped with a piece of waxed paper and a tortilla.
- Top each tortilla with 2/3 cup ground beef and your favorite burger toppings. (Fresh lettuce and tomato don’t freeze and reheat well, but feel free to add the cheese and condiments – or save the condiments for dipping later.)
- Wrap each burrito’s tortilla around the filling. Then wrap each burrito in wax paper. Lastly, wrap each burrito in foil. (For more details and photos of how I wrap my burritos, check out my recipe for Freezer-to-Microwave Breakfast Burritos.)
- Place all wrapped burritos into a gallon-sized plastic freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months in a standard freezer.
- To eat, remove individual burrito from foil and wax paper and wrap in a paper towel. Microwave for 2 minutes or until filling is heated through.
These burger burritos are filling as-is, but they also taste great served with a side salad or some oven-baked french fries. YUM.
Thanks for the great freezer recipes…I have a toddler and a new baby..so anyway I can save time is great:)
Happy to help. Congrats on your newest addition! 🙂
Hubby is in residency and I’m going to try these today so he can grab it on the go! Ty
Fantastic idea! My picky 5 year old declared it the “best meal ever” tonight. I served it family style with several topping options and he loved being able to do it himself… and he ate! Hubby and other kiddos heartily approved as well. Thanks! ?