was successfully added to your cart.
All of My Best-Selling Cookbooks for One Low Price! Buy Now

Freezer-to-microwave breakfast burritos

This is it!  Your solution to busy mornings when you don’t have time for breakfast: Freezer-to-Microwave Breakfast Burritos.

Use this recipe to quickly and easily make 16 burritos for your freezer.  Then individually heat one at a time in your microwave when you’re hungry.  Genius!

My inspiration to create freezer-to-microwave breakfast burritos came from my husband, Andy, who goes to the gym before the crack of dawn and has to grab something quick to eat before heading off to work.

Freezer to Microwave Breakfast Burritos

Since this breakfast is wrapped up all neat in a tortilla shell, it’s easy to eat in the car, on the way to the bus stop, or when you’re already at work.  The tortillas re-heat perfectly.  Not mushy at all.

These homemade breakfast burritos also end up costing less than $1/burrito to make – that’s cheaper than McDonald’s. (And a million times more healthy.)

Freezer-to-Microwave Sausage, Egg, Spinach, & Cheese Breakfast Burritos

Ingredients

• 1lb ground spicy Italian sausage (You can sub ground sweet or breakfast sausage)
  • 2 handfuls of fresh baby spinach leaves
  • 16 eggs, beaten
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 8oz mild cheddar cheese, shredded (About 2 cups shredded)
  • 16 “burrito size” flour tortillas (The ones I bought were 8.5-9″ in diameter – I bought 2 packs of 8)

Note: I’ve also made these burritos with peppers, onions, turkey sausage and more.  Feel free to experiment.

Freezer Supplies

• Foil
  • Waxed paper
  • 3 gallon-sized plastic freezer bags

Directions

Brown the sausage in a large pan over medium-high heat.

freezer-to-microwave breakfast burritos cooked sausage

Add the spinach and stir until it wilts.

freezer to microwave breakfast burritos sausage and spinach

freezer to microwave breakfast burritos sausage and spinach cooked

Add the eggs and a pinch of salt and pepper.

freezer to microwave breakfast burritos eggs

Stir every minute or two until cooked through.

freezer to microwave breakfast burritos eggs cooked

(At this point, everything will be cooked, so taste test to make sure you don’t need to add more salt or pepper.)

Set a timer for 20-25 minutes to let the sausage-spinach-egg mixture cool.

(This is important if you’re going to freeze the burritos.  You can use this time to clean up the kitchen, shred the cheese, and prep the foil and wax paper for the next step.  If you’re planning to eat the burritos right away instead of freezing, there’s no need to cool.)

Arrange 16 pieces of wax paper in an assembly line.  Place one tortilla on each piece.  Top each tortilla with 1/2 cup sausage-spinach-egg mixture and about 2 tablespoons of cheddar cheese.

freezer to microwave breakfast burritos assembly line

Wrap your first burrito by folding over one side length-wise, tight against the filling.

freezer to microwave breakfast burritos first fold

Fold in both of the small ends. (It’s easier to do this when you’re not trying to take a photo at the same time.)

freezer to microwave breakfast burritos fold bottom

Fold over the last side.

freezer to microwave breakfast burritos rolled

Wrap the remaining 15 burritos the same way.

Place each burrito, seam-side down on wax paper and wrap.

freezer to microwave breakfast burritos in wax paper

Wrap each wax paper burrito in a piece of foil.

(You can see in this photo how I wrap from the corners.)

freezer to microwave breakfast burritos wrap in foil

freezer to microwave breakfast burritos foil 16

Place wrapped burritos in gallon-sized plastic freezer bags, remove as much air as possible, seal, and place in freezer.  (Can store in a standard freezer up to 3 months.)

freezer to microwave breakfast burritos freezer bags

To Eat

Heat one burrito at a time in the microwave.  Simply unwrap the foil and waxed paper, wrap in a paper towel, and microwave on high for 90 seconds – 2 minutes (depending on the strength of your microwave).

Come to mama!

Freezer to Microwave Breakfast Burritos

These breakfast burritos are so convenient and yummy that I think I need to make some for my next freezer meal swap with friends.  They would also be a great gift for a pregnant friend to enjoy after her baby arrives.

Question: What’s your favorite quick and easy breakfast food?

—————————-

PS Looking for more recipes that will make your life easier?  Check out my freezer and crockpot cookbooks.

PPS Stay up to date on what I’m eating by following me on Pinterest (@kellymcnelis).

80 Comments

• These sound so good and perfect for my hungry family! 🙂

• Kelly says:

Thanks, Jessica! Hope you love them as much as we do!

• Andy says:

I speak from experience when I say: These. Are. AMAZING. Frozen waffles are a distant memory.

Andy, xoxo.

• Janet says:

These are AMAZING! Thanks for this recipe. Any idea what the nutrition info on these would be?

• Kelly says:

Thanks, Janet! I don’t know the nutrition info off-hand, but I can calculate it. Give me a day or two and I’ll report back!

• Kelly says:

Here you go, Janet…Serving Size: One burrito, Calories 370, Total Fat 19g (29%), Saturated Fat 7g (35%), Cholesterol 220mg (73%), Sodium 950mg (40%), Total Carbs 32g (11%), Dietary Fiber 2g (8%), Sugars 2g, Protein 19g (38%), Vitamin A 25%, Iron 10%, Vitamin C 2%, Calcium 20%.

In my calculations, I included 3 cups of spinach, 1/2tsp salt, and 1/4tsp pepper. Percent daily values were calculated for a 2,000 calorie diet. Let me know if you have any questions!

• Lisa says:

If I leave out the spinach, would that bring the carb count down? I have gestational diabetes and have to watch the carb and sugar intake.

• […] was ended with some prepping meals for the following week of craziness! I made eighteen freezer breakfast burritos adapted from Kelly, breakfast quinoa bars, quinoa, and cut up fresh cantaloupe. I also made some […]

• Renee says:

Thanks for this recipe- these are great for quick breakfast on the busy early mornings! My husband loves them with the sausage and I make a batch for myself with sauteed veggies (green pepper, onion, tomato, mushroom) instead to make them a little healthier. Your tutorial and photos were great, thanks for sharing!

• Kelly says:

Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know how they turned out! I’ve started adding peppers and onions to ours too. 🙂

• Laura says:

Sounds great for my 4 boys. Since we don’t microwave, what setting and time do you recommend for freezer to oven warming? Thx

• Kelly says:

I have never tried it. I would say 350 degrees F for maybe 15-25 minutes? Please let me know if you figure out the perfect oven cooking time!

• kathy says:

Why do you have to used wax paper if you’re already using foil?

• Kelly says:

I like using wax paper because it doesn’t stick to the burritos. Peels right off.

• Jereme says:

I did a lot of frozen burritos in the past, using various homemade bean recipes (non have really worked). I just used plastic wrap, placing each one onto the roll and wrapping and separating from the roll with each one. I found I get a tight seal, and they aren’t stuck to the burrito when removing them. They work well straight from the freezer, or slightly thawed sitting in the refrigerator at work. I used the extra large tortillas, but the cook time was around the same.

• Leslie says:

Oh good! I was looking at this recipe but I just, frankly, didn’t like all the waste of wax paper AND foil AND paper towels. I was starting to wonder if I could just reuse the wax paper and foil.

Although, I do wonder if freezing them in a tray for a few minutes before putting them in a larger storage container would also work.

• kathy says:

Thanks for sharing… But Why do you have to use wax paper if you’re already using foil?

• darcie says:

Hello! These look fantastic. I would love to try, but we don’t have a microwave either. Did anyone figure out what temp and how long for an oven? Many Thanks!!

• Shandi says:

I loved these so much! I used ground turkey for mine. I also added mushrooms that I sliced matchstick style in the mix (I added them along with the spinach) and it was amazing!

• Amanda says:

These turned out great! I’m so excited to share these with my hubby when he’s in a rush to leave for work in the mornings!

• Kelly says:

Yay! I’m so glad you like them! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment and let me know.

• Amanda says:

Next time I make them I might try adding a bit of diced tomato and maybe even some mushroom. I’ll let ya know how it turns out. Hopefully the mix won’t be runny! lol

• RoxAnn Henry says:

Hi Kelly…. I tried these and my husband loved them. I am not a sausage fan at all, but I still thought they made a great quick breakfast. My son loved them as well…they dumped hot sauce on them! I am wondering if you have tried these with crisp strips of bacon? I know my daughter and I and my daughter in law would like that more. Please let me know. For a hard to buy for son in law who has a busy wife, I am making these for him for Christmas! Let me know about the bacon!

• Kelly says:

Thanks so much for sharing! We’ve tried bacon, but we like the sausage better. (I think it has to do with the consistency of the bacon when it re-heats. I like crispy bacon and it’s hard to make anything crispy out of the freezer.) If you try them with bacon, I’d cook it very crispy and crumble it into the eggs. If you like softer bacon, you might not mind it in strips though. I’d love to hear what you think if you try it! I think ham would be a great alternative too!

• RoxAnn Henry says:

Hi Kelly…..I made these burritos with the crispy bacon ( I do mine in the oven…makes life so much simpler!)and just laid several strips atop my eggs and spinach and cheese. What a wonderful easy thing for Christmas morning! My husband kept the microwave going and my family loved them! It sure made a chaotic busy morning much easier. The bacon was wonderful and my family thinks this is a winner. Thank you for simplifying this Nana’s Christmas! And my son-in-law loved his gift of ten packaged burritos!

• […] As part of my efforts to get more organized, I’m working to maintain a stash of freezer meals. I just made the beef stew we really like from this blog. We also just tried the chicken cacciatore that is also in that post. These bean & cheese burritos (I leave the cheese off half of them because Doug doesn’t like cheese) have become a staple (and check out the breakfast burritos). […]

• Courtney says:

Kelly-
    What brand/size burrito/tortilla have you found best?

• […] Breakfast Burritos – Added spicy peppers from our garden and subbed kale for spinach, I got 16 burritos from the recipe. […]

• Paige says:

Excellent blog here! Also your site loads up fast! What web host are you using?
    Can I get your affiliate link to your host?

I wish my site loaded up as fast as yours lol

• Maureen says:

These were AWESOME and SO easy to make (I used Jennie-O turkey sausage that I had on hand). I even managed to make these and two freezer crockpot chicken chili meals–after dinner–on a weeknight!

New fan…Keeping this blog bookmarked to try more!

• Danielle says:

I was thinking about doing these with potatoes? How do you think that would work out? Thanks so much for such great ideas!!!!

• Kelly says:

I think potatoes would be great! Just make sure to cook them before freezing. I don’t think they would be good frozen raw.

• Danielle says:

Great! I can’t wait to try these… I’ll let you know how they turn out 🙂

• JuLz Cop says:

I’m 37w 4d Pregnant
    I just made this recipe X2 for me and my husband… Now he can bring them to work and I don’t have to worry to cook when the baby comes..: very easy to do and Very enjoyable

• […] mom that she is, suggested a couple of burrito recipes that look like they’d make for great breakfasts and lunches for a busy new mom. I’m planning to stock up on these a little closer to my due […]

• Tracey says:

Hi
    Im in australia and we dont have ground meats…. is it the same to use normal mince?

• Kathy Dettloff says:

has anyone tried makeing these with egg whites or egg beaters?

• Kelli says:

Silly question, but why do you wrap them in foil, after they have been wrapped in wax paper? Couldn’t you just put them in the ziplock bag, wrapped only in the wax paper? Since you take ALL the wrapping off to microwave, I’m just curious why the extra step of foil. Thanks!!

• Kelly says:

I’m not sure. I thought the foil would keep them fresh longer, but I could be wrong.

• Ruth says:

I have fixed other types of burritos —- when I didn’t put the foil on over the waxed paper, they freezer- burned very quickly (even in a heavy plastic baggie). (These look so yummy!!)

• Kelli says:

Also, is there an easy way to print this, and your other recipes that are on their own post? I haven’t been able to figure that out. 🙂 Thank you so much for sharing all of these great recipes and ideas with us!!

• Kelly says:

Unfortunately, no. It’s on my to-do list, but I haven’t figured it out yet. It seems like every “printer-friendly” plugin messes with something else on my site. I’ll keep looking, Kelli!

• Karen says:

Can you use parchment paper instead of the wax paper?

• Ken says:

My wife used shredded hashbrowns in this also and it tasted great. Hashbrowns were cooked with the rest of the stuff before freezing! Love it!

• Chris says:

How long can you expect them to keep in the freezer. I have 3 boys I feed in the morning and like to prep as far out as possible, but don’t want to serve something spoiled either. (I’m a man, so I ask silly questions lol!)

• […] Freezer-to-microwave breakfast burritos. Mornings around here are crazy. That’s why we spend one hour on Sunday prepping these breakfast burritos. One hour on the weekend = saving my sanity for the next five days. And that is more than worth it to me. We use regular Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage, organic baby spinach and cage-free, organic eggs in the recipe. I cut my daughter’s burrito in half, diagonally, and she happily goes to town on it. We pair it with a piece of fruit and a pouch of organic whole-milk yogurt and brekkie is served. […]

• Kate says:

Do you think they would work without the cheese?

• Desi-Ann says:

Hi

I don’t own a microwave but I have a toaster oven. Can I warm several at a time in the oven?

• […] Breakfast Burritos – This is more for Hubby, but something quick and easy that we can both appreciate. […]

• […] Freezer-to-microwave breakfast burritos […]

• Amanda says:

I wonder if anyone has ever tried making these using a homemade grain-free wrap? I can’t do the regular tortillas and my packaged store brown rice wraps I use for other things are too dry and crumbly and wouldn’t hold up well.

• Dream says:

Do you need to heat the tortillas before assembly? (To then put in freezer)

• çredit says:

whoah this blog is great i love studying your articles.
    Stay up the good work! You know, lots of persons are hunting round for this information,
    you can help them greatly.

• Kelsey says:

Thank you for sharing this. I’ve made it now three times and each time my husband does his version of a happy dance. I finally tried one of these myself and they are TASTY. We took your advice and added our own spin with a sauteed red bell pepper and an onion. I’m excited by your suggestion to make them for a pregnant friend as a baby blessing meal gift. Good thinking!

• Regina says:

I”ve heard of wrapping them in a damp paper towel before freezing, so they can steam. Have you tried that? I know when I do english muffins, that I wrap them in a damp paper towel before microwaving, and they aren’t as dry (they have a nice chew to them!)

• Jeanna says:

I made these in December and finished the last one 2 months later. I made it with Italian Sausage and Onion. They were not only tasty, but heaven-sent when I was hungry, but had no time to eat. They were perfect to reheat in the microwave (1 min ea. side). This is going to be my go-to recipe for these burritos. I have a small kitchen so it took me 2 hours from start to finish and cost only $23.27 to make 17 burritos. What a deal! Next time I want to make a Meat one (either Ham or Sausage & Onion) and Vegetarian one (Mushroom, Spinach, and Feta). Thank you for sharing this recipe.

• […] Freezer to Microwave Breakfast Burritos […]

• Jackie says:

I was wondering if you have any types of freezer snack items I can make? Maybe even more breakfast ideas? I love these things