I’m so excited to share one of my favorite recipes from my ‘Easy & Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes’ cookbook with you: Shredded BBQ Chicken!
Every recipe in my cookbook was inspired by fresh, healthy, and seasonal ingredients. Simply combine the ingredients in your slow cooker and let it do all the work for you. Such an easy way to make healthy, homemade meals!
Inside the Cookbook
- My family’s 10 favorite healthy slow cooker recipes
- Slow cooker tips for beginners
- Color photos of every recipe
- Nutritional info
- A review from Registered Dietitian Dana White – Nutrition Expert for FoodNetwork.com and President of Dana White Nutrition
Forget about heavy slow cooker recipes made with cream-based condensed soups. These are modern slow cooker recipes made with fresh fruits, vegetables, and lean meats.
Here’s a recipe from my cookbook that you can try for free today…
Slow Cooker Shredded BBQ Chicken
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup ketchup (I like Simply Heinz)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- Create homemade BBQ sauce by combining ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, chili powder, hot sauce, and curry powder.
- Add chicken breasts to your slow cooker and top with BBQ sauce.
- Cover, and cook on “low” for 8 hours.
- Shred chicken and return to slow cooker to mix with remaining BBQ sauce.
BONUS RECIPE – Mango Coleslaw
(My family loves topping our Shredded BBQ Chicken sandwiches with this simple, homemade slaw.)
- 1, 16oz bag of shredded green cabbage and carrots (coleslaw mix)
- 1 mango, peeled and shredded (about one cup)
- 1 cup mayonaisse
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Combine all ingredients. (Can prepare day ahead and store in refrigerator.)
You can find more awesome recipes like this in my ’Easy & Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes’ cookbook. (The eBook is for sale for $5.99 and the printed cookbook $8.99!) Purchase your copy today to start making easy and healthy slow cooker meals!
If I use frozen chicken breasts, is the cooking time still 8 hours?
I recommend thawing them in the refrigerator overnight, the night before you’re going to try the recipe. Eight hours should be about right, but it depends on the size and strength of your slow cooker. My 7-quart slow cooker might only need 6-8 hours compared to 8-10 in my 4-qt slow cooker.
Am I reading the recipe right? It says only 1 lb of chicken.
Yes, but you could also use two.
what kind of hot sauce do you use?
Frank’s Red Hot 🙂
[…] Shredded BBQ Chicken @ New Leaf Wellness […]
Do you also freeze the slaw? Looking to make freezer meals for Christmas gifts for family members who have everything already!
Hmm, I’ve never tried before. If it works, let me know!
Can you make these recipes from your Easy & Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes’ cookbook and freeze them like your other freezer recipes? If so, would you just throw everything together and freeze?
Not all of them, but the fajitas, soup, ginger garlic chicken, pork tacos, BBQ chicken, and beef lime chili all freeze great. I think I provide freezer instructions for all of them in my No Cook Freezer Meals book.
Does the sauce come out thick or watery?
I would say it’s on the thin side. The longer you cook it in your crockpot, the more it will thicken.