I visited San Antonio, Texas in 2011 and had the best chicken enchiladas of my life. I think what made them so incredible was the way the way the chicken melted in your mouth. It had to be slow cooked.
When I came back home to Pennsylvania, I tried to recreate the chicken enchiladas by cooking the chicken in my crockpot, shredding it, and then baking it in the oven with a homemade sauce. YUM.
Slow-Cooked Chicken Enchiladas
Yields: 6 servings
- Cooking spray
- 6 medium-sized tomatoes, cut into pieces
- 9 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 medium-sized onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 12 small corn tortillas (My husband prefers flour tortillas but I think they get kind of soft and mushy)
- 8oz mild cheddar cheese, shredded and divided (about 2 cups – please shred your own!)
- 2 small cans of diced green chilies
- Place enchilada filling ingredients (paprika – chicken breasts) in a crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours, until chicken is cooked through and you can shred it with a fork.
- Pre-heat oven to 400° F. Lightly coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Place tomatoes, onion, and garlic on sheet. Bake 20 minutes or until onion and garlic are golden.
- Remove from oven and turn oven heat down to 350° F.
- Set vegetables aside to cool (because you’re going to blend them and you don’t want your blender to explode).
- While cooling, assemble your enchiladas: Lay tortillas on a work surface, and top each with about 1/4 cup of the shredded chicken, 2 tablespoons of cheese, and 2 tablespoons of green chiles. Roll up, and place in a 9×13 inch casserole dish, seam-side down.
- Create sauce: Transfer baked vegetable to blender and add remaining sauce spices. Puree until smooth.
- Cover enchiladas with sauce and remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling. (Plenty of time to clean up your kitchen!)