Cook fresh or freeze and cook later. Serve with rice and parmesan cheese.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1lb+ ground turkey (or beef)
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 small bell peppers, tops cut off (or 2 large peppers, cut lengthwise) and cleaned
- 24oz jar of your favorite pasta sauce (reserve 2T)
- 1/2 cup water
- Coat bottom of slow cooker with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- In large bowl, mix ground meat, onion, garlic, and 2 tablespoons of pasta sauce.
- Separate mixture into four equal parts and firmly stuff into peppers.
- Place peppers in slow cooker and cover with remaining pasta sauce.
- Pour 1/2 cup of water into the empty sauce jar, shake it up and pour into slow cooker. (I don’t like to waste anything!)
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is cooked through and peppers are soft.
To Freeze and Cook Later
Label a gallon-sized plastic freezer bag with the name of the recipe, use-by date (which will be three months from the prep day), and cooking instructions. In large bowl, mix ground meat, onion, garlic, and 2 tablespoons of pasta sauce. Separate mixture into four equal parts and firmly stuff into peppers. Add remaining sauce to a quart-sized plastic freezer bag, seal, and place inside gallon-sized bag with stuffed peppers.
When ready to cook, thaw freezer bag. Place peppers in an olive-oil-coated slow cooker and top with sauce. Cook on “low” setting for 6-8 hours.