Serve with crusty bread, a salad, and stories from the adventures of your days.
- 1 pound dried pinto beans
- 1.5 pound bone-in ham shank
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- Salt, to taste
- The night before cooking, place beans in the crockpot and cover with about 8 cups of water. Let sit overnight. (Do not turn the crockpot on.)
- In the morning, add ham shank. Add additional water to cover the ham shank, if necessary.
- Cover and cook on “high” for 5-6 hours, “low” for 8 hours, or until beans split.
- Remove ham, shred off of bone, and return shredded meat to crockpot.
- Stir in ketchup and add salt to taste (The amount of salt needed depends on the cut of ham. The last time I made this, I added 1/2 teaspoon.).