Cook fresh or freeze to cook later. We love eating our soup with shredded cheddar cheese and tortilla chips.
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 medium-sized yellow onion, diced
- 2 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup tomato juice (If you buy a big can/bottle, freeze the extra in ice cubes trays for future soups and chilis)
- 1 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Juice from 1/2 lime (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 cups fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth (If freezing, this is not needed until day of cooking)
- Combine all ingredients in crockpot and cook for 4-8 hours, or until carrots are soft and chicken is cooked through.
- Shred chicken with a fork and stir.
To Freeze and Cook Later
- Combine all ingredients (except chicken broth) in a gallon-sized plastic freezer bag. Remove as much air as possible and freeze for up to three months.
- To cook, thaw and add to crockpot with chicken broth. Cook on “low” setting for 4-8 hours, or until carrots are soft and chicken is cooked through. Shred chicken with a fork and stir.